If you have a money-making YouTube channel, adding chapters to your YouTube videos can improve the user experience and keep people watching longer.
I will show you how to add chapters to youtube videos using YouTube’s tools. I will also provide some tips on creating an effective video chapter structure.
Let’s get started!
Disclaimer: If you buy something using the links in this article, I may receive a commission at no extra cost.
Know that I only promote stuff that I use and trust for the sake of my readers and the reputation of this site.
What Are YouTube Chapters?
YouTube chapters are a great way to improve the user experience on your channel. By adding chapter markers to your videos, you can make it easier for viewers to navigate and watch the sections that interest them the most.
With chapter markers, you can let viewers know what’s next on your video’s progress bar and make it easy for them to jump to the sections they’re most interested in.
That makes it handy for them to decide whether they want to download the YouTube video and watch it later as well.
Not only are YouTube chapters on the video progress bar useful for viewers, but they can also help improve your video’s SEO. That’s because search engines like Google use video duration and chapter markers to help determine how your video content ranks in search results.
In this article, we’ll show you how to add your own video chapters to YouTube videos so that your viewers can get the most out of them.
How To Add Your Own YouTube Video Chapters
Adding chapters to your YouTube videos can improve the user experience by making it easier for viewers to navigate and find the content they are looking for. Here’s how to add chapters:
Step 1: Log In To YouTube Studio
Step 2: Select ‘Content’ from the menu on the left side
Step 3: Open the video you want to add chapters to
Step 4: Add the chapter titles with the timestamps in the video description. While adding the timestamps and chapter titles, keep these things in mind:
- The first timestamp should start at 0:00
- Enter the timestamp followed by a space and the chapter title. For example, ‘0:00 Introduction.’
- Each timestamp should be at least ten seconds long
- You will need to enter at least three timestamps in your video description in order
If you are looking to add chapters to your YouTube videos, there are a few things you need to know:
- You can add chapters by using a YouTube video editor or third-party software.
- You must add chapters before you upload your video to YouTube.
- You can add a maximum of 12 chapters to a video.
After you finish editing, click “Save” to save your changes. Then, viewers will be able to navigate through your video using the chapter titles that you created.
What Is The YouTube Timestamp Format?
The YouTube timestamp format is how YouTube displays timestamps on videos.
The timestamp format displays the time elapsed since the video started, located at the bottom right corner of each video. This format helps viewers keep track of how much time has passed in a video, and it can be helpful for videos that are longer than 20 minutes.
Here’s an example of how you can add chapters to YouTube videos in the video description box:
How To Use Automatic YouTube Chapters
The best way to add YouTube chapter markers to your YouTube video is by using automatic video chapters. Automatic video chapters will make navigating through your video easier for your viewers. Here are the steps on how to use automatic video chapters:
Step 1: Open up the “Creator Studio” and select “Content” from the menu on the left.
Step 2: Select the video to which you want to add chapters.
Step 3: Go to ‘Show More’ > ‘Automatic Chapters’ > ‘Allow automatic chapters (when available and eligible)’
And that’s it! Your viewers will now be able to navigate through your video using the automatic chapter markers easily.
However, there are some cases where you will not be allowed to use video chapters:
- If your channel has active strikes
- If your content may be inappropriate to some viewers
Here’s what YouTube has to say about it:
What Are The Benefits Of YouTube Video Chapters?
Adding automatic chapters to your YouTube videos can provide viewers with a much better user experience.
By dividing your video into chapters, you can make it easier for viewers to find specific information. Additionally, chapters can help keep viewers engaged throughout the entire video.
There are several benefits of using YouTube video chapters:
- It is easier for viewers to find specific information.
- Can keep viewers engaged throughout the video.
- Can help keep viewers on your channel longer.
- Adds professionalism to your videos.
By adding chapters to your videos, you can make it easier for viewers to find specific information. Chapters can be beneficial if you have a long video (such as a YouTube podcast) or cover a complex topic.
Chapters can also help keep viewers engaged throughout the entire video. For example, when viewers know that a break is coming up, they are more likely to continue watching the whole video.
Increased Time on Channel
By keeping viewers engaged throughout the entire video, you can also increase the amount of time on your channel. Engaged viewers also tend to look at more of your channel videos, leading to increased YouTube video views.
Engagement can be beneficial if you are looking to build a relationship with your viewers and keep them coming back for more.
Adding chapters to your videos can also add professionalism to your content. When viewers see that you have taken the time to create a well-organized video, they are more likely to respect and trust your content.
Adding chapters to YouTube can also help you rank high in Google Search. If you use relevant keywords in your chapter titles, Google uses that to boost your content’s ranking on the SERPs.
Tips For Adding YouTube Chapters
- Start by adding a title for your chapter.
- Make sure that your chapter titles are clear and concise.
- Include a brief description of the content in each chapter.
- Make sure that your chapters are in chronological order.
- Don’t forget to add closing credits at the end of your video.
- Test your video before you publish it. Make sure that everything works properly.
- Be sure to upload your video in the correct format. YouTube supports a variety of file formats.
- Add a link in the credits section to promote your website or blog.
- Make sure that your video is tagged correctly to help people find your video more easily.
- Be sure to add a custom thumbnail to attract attention to your video.
- Use a good quality microphone when recording your videos to ensure that your videos are of the highest quality.
- Be sure to create a good title for your video to help people find your video more easily.
- Make sure that your videos are well-constructed and professional-looking to attract attention to your channel.
Q1. Why Are YouTube Chapters Not Working For My Channel?
A. YouTube chapters are not working for your channel because you have not activated the feature. Open your account settings and check the “Enable Chapters” box to activate YouTube chapters.
Q2. How do I create a chapter?
A. To create a chapter, add a new title to the start of your video’s description. You can then add timestamps with chapter titles for subsequent chapters.
Q3. How many chapters can I have in a video?
A. You can have up to 12 chapters in a video.
Q4. What happens if I reach the maximum number of chapters?
A. If you add more than 12 chapters to a video, the oldest chapter will be automatically deleted.
Q5. How To Disable YouTube Chapters?
A. To disable YouTube chapters, open your account settings and uncheck the “Enable Chapters” box.
Q6. What happens if I disable YouTube chapters?
A. If you disable YouTube chapters, viewers will not be able to skip to specific parts of your video using the chapter markers in the player. They will instead have to use the video timeline.
Q7. Are Chapters Available In Every Country?
A. Chapters are not available in every country. If you do not see the “Enable Chapters” box in your account settings, then they are not available in your country.
Adding chapters to a YouTube video can help improve the viewer’s experience by allowing them to navigate to specific points in the video quickly. In addition, adding chapters can also help keep viewers engaged with your content for longer periods.
If you are not currently using chapters on your channel, be sure to activate them and start taking advantage of this powerful feature.